Entrance and Exit Criteria
Entrance, Retention and Exit Criteria
Specific entrance, retention, and exit criteria apply for ALL Teacher (Educator) Preparation Programs offered at Penn State. Based upon current Pennsylvania Standards for Teacher (Educator) Preparation Programs and Penn State graduation requirements, all candidates seeking entrance to a specific teacher preparation program (or major) must meet the following criteria.
[Participation in the Entrance to Major (ETM) process is initiated via http://eLion.psu.edu]
BACCALAUREATE DEGREE CANDIDATES MUST MEET REQUIREMENTS 1-3 BY THE END OF THEIR THIRD SEMESTER.
1. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00.*
2. Qualifying scores from the PECT: PAPA tests for Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. WorKforce Education and Development candidates must complete the PRAXIS: PPST tests for Reading, Writing and Mathematics. ()
3. Documentation of at least 80 hours of volunteer or paid education work experience with learners of the age group the candidate plans to teach. At least 40 of these age-appropriate 80 hours must be with learners whose cultural, social, or ethnic backgrounds differ from the candidate's own. [Candidates for Special Education must document two separate 40-hour experiences in two different settings, with learners who have special needs. One experience should include learners with a different level of severity or functioning (e.g., mild/severe, young/adult) from those learners in the other experience. One experience should also include learners with cultural, social, or ethnic backgrounds different from the candidate's own]. Post high school experiences are required for Childhood and Early Adolescent (CEAED), Secondary (SECED) and World Language (WL ED) students.
REQUIREMENTS 4-9 MUST BE MET BY THE END OF THE FOURTH SEMESTER WHEN STUDENTS TYPICALLY PARTICIPATE IN THE ETM PROCESS.
4. A grade of “C” or better in all specified courses, including English 015 or 030, three credits of literature, six credits of quantification, and practica. (Specific Quantification courses necessary for ETM may be prescribed by major/option. See checksheet or degree audit).
5. Completion of an early field experience specified by the certification program. (except Special Education students, who complete an early field experience after ETM) **
6. Completion of core Education courses specified by the certification program. **
7. Completion of additional credits as specified by the certification program. **
8. Completion of at least 48 credits.
9. Approval from the professional education adviser or the head of the pertinent certification program.
Entrance Criteria Table
*Based on Title 22 Pennsylvania Code Chapter 354.31 (4), (5) and (7).
** See accompanying entrance criteria table.
Note: Students typically have only one opportunity to participate in the ETM process. Appeals for extensions to the ETM process may be considered on an individual basis. Please see your advisor to initiate an appeal.
Candidates must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 to meet the retention criteria.
Eligibility for a teacher certificate is based on:
1. Successful completion of a Teacher (Educator) Preparation Program with the conferral of a baccalaureate degree. (Vocational Certificate candidates: See Adviser).
2. A minimum 3.00 cumulative grade point average.
3. A grade of at least “C” or better in all specified courses, including practica.
4. Approval by (a) the pertinent program representative and (b) the University Certification Officer.
5. Successful completion of any clearances, tests, and any other requirements as specified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE).
Additional Information on Entrance, Retention and Exit Criteria
Inquiries about the information and policies related to specific certification programs are welcomed by academic advisors and administrators representing departments which offer teacher education programs. General inquiries about teacher education at Penn State may be directed to the Advising and Certification Center at (814) 865-0488 in 228 Chambers Building, University Park, PA 16802.