Instructional I Teacher Certification
The Pennsylvania State University's majors that are also Teacher (Educator) Preparation Programs are approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and nationally recognized by Specialized Professional Agencies (SPA).
Entrance to the Teacher (Educator) Preparation Programs within the College of Education is through a formal Entrance to Major (ETM) process.
1. To obtain Instructional I certification in Pennsylvania, candidates must also complete the following requirements:
- a. Complete all Retention and Exit criteria required in order to successfully complete a Teacher (Educator) Preparation Program.
- b. Obtain Pennsylvania Qualifying scores for the PRAXIS Series or PECT tests required by PDE in effect at the time of recommendation by the University for certification. (See the Teacher Testing information).
- c. Pass the Precertification Competency Examination on Educating Students with Disabilities (if completing certification prior to August 2013). This exam is waived for students who completed a Special Education 400 or 444 course with a grade of at least C, or holders of School Psychology or Special Education degrees.
2. Candidates must be of good moral character, possessing personal qualities, professional knowledge, and skills which warrant issuance of a teacher's certificate (School Laws of Pennsylvania, Article XII).
3. Candidates also must be United States citizens, not in the habit of using narcotic drugs in any form or excessive amounts of intoxicating beverages (School Code 1209), and not convicted of a criminal offense nor currently under indictment (Act 34 and Act 151).
4. Candidates must apply for teacher certification using PDE’s online Teacher Information Management System (TIMS) and submit a PSU Record of Application before a certifying officer from Penn State can recommend them for certification. The PSU Record of Application must be filed with the Advising and Certification Center, 228 Chambers Building, University Park, PA 16802. The form can be faxed to (814)865-0489 or emailed to Tammy Thal at email@example.com.
5. Representatives in the Advising and Certification Center will verify a candidate’s successful completion of all necessary exit criteria for a Teacher (Educator) Preparation Program in conjunction with a program representative’s approval. The certifying officer also confirms a candidate’s eligibility for the teaching credential on the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS).
NOTE: Students wishing to pursue a certification program in conjunction with a degree in another college must complete all of the requirements for each program. Education representatives at each campus can discuss options such as concurrent majors or post-baccalaureate certification opportunities.