David A. Gamson
Associate Professor of Education
Areas of Expertise
- History of Education
- Education Policy Studies
- Educational Reform (past and present)
Publications (Full CV Available Here)
- Gamson, David. (2003, forthcoming) "Rethinking Progressivism: The District Perspective," in Paedagogic Historica (Summer).
- Mintrop, Heinrich, David Gamson, Milbrey McLaughlin, Pia Lindquist Wong, and Ida Oberman, "Design Cooperation: Strengthening the Link Between Organizational and Instructional Change in Schools," Educational Policy 15 (September 2001).
Professional Experience & Activities
- Education Consultant for THE NOYCE FOUNDATION, Palo Alto, CA. March-August 1997.
- Education Consultant for SAN FRANCISCO FOUNDATION, San Francisco, CA. Member of evaluation team headed by Milbrey McLaughlin. 1994-1996.
- Education Department Graduate Intern for THE PEW CHARITABLE TRUSTS, Philadelphia, PA. Staff member of court-appointed Philadelphia Desegregation Panel. Summer 1994.
- Education Consultant for THE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY, San Jose, CA. Member of the Foundation's "Partners for Success" school reform funding committee. Spring/Summer 1995 and 1996.
- Director of Marketing for FANLIGHT PRODUCTIONS, Boston, MA. 1986-1987.
- General Manager/Assistant to the President for ACTION FOR CHILDREN'S TELEVISION (ACT), Cambridge, MA.1985-1986. ACT was a national citizens' advocacy group working to improve broadcasting practices for children's television. (ACT closed in 1991.)
Honors & Awards
- Awarded Alumni Society Faculty Research Initiation Grant, 1998-1999, 1999-2000, 2002 (between $600 and $8,500).
- Awarded Spencer Foundation Small Grant, 2000-01 ($35,000).
- Fellow in the Advanced Studies Fellowship Program at Brown University, 2001-2004 ($50,000).
- Awarded Spencer Foundation Dissertation Fellowship.
- Awarded Stanford University Graduate Research Opportunity Grant.
- Awarded Commonwealth of Australia Postgraduate Scholarship.
- Ph.D. in Education, 2001. STANFORD UNIVERSITY.
Dissertation: District by Design: Progressive Education Reform in Four Western Cities, 1900-1940.
- M.A. in American History, 1998. STANFORD UNIVERSITY.
- M.A., with Merit, in English Literature, 1991. UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY, Sydney, Australia.
- A.B. in History, Minor in English Literature, 1985. BOWDOIN COLLEGE, Brunswick, ME.