Patrick T. Terenzini
400 Rackley Building
University Park, PA 16802-3203
Dr. Terenzini has 38 years of experience in higher education as a teacher, researcher, and administrator. Before coming to Penn State, Terenzini held administrative and/or teaching positions at Dean College (MA), Syracuse University, the State University of New York at Albany, and the University of Georgia. He has published more than 130 articles in refereed journals and made 70 invited presentations at national and international scholarly and professional conferences, as well as more than 250 other conference presentations.
Areas of Expertise
- The effects of college on students
- Institutional research
- Assessment of student outcome
Publications (Full CV available here)
Professional Experience & Activities
- Current or past member of the editorial boards of Research in Higher Education, The Review of Higher Education, and Higher Education: Handbook of Theory and Research
- Editor-in-chief of New Directions for Institutional Research from 1984-1996
- Past president of the Association for the Study of Higher Education
Honors & Awards
- Has received the research awards of the Association for the Study of Higher Education, the Association for Institutional Research, the American College Personnel Association, the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, and the College Personnel Associations of New York and Pennsylvania
- Distinguished Service Award from AIR and three-time winner of AIR's Forum Best Paper Award.
- Wickenden Award from the American Society for Engineering Education for the best paper published in the Journal of Engineering Education in 2001 (with A. Cabrera, C. Colbeck, J. Parente, and S. Bjorklund).
External Research Funding
- Has directed or co-directed researach grants totalling more than $13 million.
- Has received research grants from the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Education, the Lumina Foundation for Education, the Sloane Foundation, and the Spencer Foundation.
- Ph.D. in Higher Education, Syracuse University
- M.A.T. in English Education, Harvard University
- A. B. in English, Dartmouth College