Robert M. Hendrickson
405D Rackley Building
University Park, PA 16802
Dr. Robert Hendrickson is a professor of Education in Higher Education and Senior Scientist in the Center for the Study of Higher Education. His research and teaching interests include legal issues, organizational theory, administration, and governance, and faculty employment issues. He has published a number of articles, monographs and books. For the past 6 ½ years he served as Associate Dean for Graduate Programs, Research & Faculty Development within the College of Education. During his tenure as Associate Dean, 6 graduate programs were ranked in the top 10 in the U.S. News & World Report rankings, and research awards grew from $4 million in 2001 to $18 million in 2007. Prior positions include head of the Department of Education Policy Studies for eight years and professor in charge of the Higher Education Program for nine. Dr. Hendrickson has directed a number of doctoral dissertations, several of which have won outstanding dissertation awards. His former students serve in faculty or administrative positions in the US and foreign countries and several are presidents of colleges and universities.
Areas of Expertise
- Legal issues in higher education
- Organizational theory and governance
- Faculty employment issues
Publications (Full CV available here)
- Published articles on legal issues in a number of journals and coauthored three monographs for AAHE-ERIC and ASHE/ERIC entitled, "Governing Boards and Administrator Liability," "Academic Employment and Retrenchment: Judicial Review and Administrative Action," and "The College, the Constitution, and the Consumer Student."
- Written the "Higher Education" chapter in the Yearbook of Education Law from 1983 to 1998 and recently wrote a Case Citations contribution on "Admission in Higher Education."
- A Monograph on 1st Amendment Free Speech in Colleges and Universities (in press).
- Book contract with Stylus Publishing, The Handbook on Academic Administration (to be completed in 2012).
Professional Experience & Activities
- Authors with Jason Lane, a column on legal issues for ACPA Development.
- Actively involved in the Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE), the Education Law Association (ELA, formerly the National Organization on Legal Problems in Education [NOLPE]), ACPA and a member of AERA Division J.
- Chaired the national conferences of both ELA and ASHE and has chaired and/or served on numerous committees in these organizations. He is also on the editorial boards of several journals and the Board of Directors of ELA.
- Ed.D., Higher Education with a minor in law, Indiana University
- M.S., Education, Indiana University
- B.S., North Dakota State University