S.C.O.P.E. - Summer College Opportunity Program in Education
SCOPE 2014 Application is now available online! Click HERE to get it, now.
S.C.O.P.E. is a four week academic intensive program for high school sophomores from multicultural backgrounds interested in a career in teaching, counseling, special education, rehabilitation, or educational administration during which students:
- Live on Penn State's main campus in University Park
- Take college courses
- Prepare for the SAT
- Learn time management and other study skills
SCOPE underlines Penn State’s College of Education commitment toward the reduction of inter-group disparities and our efforts to satisfy the nation’s need for a diversified pool of education professionals and is committed to implementing appropriate outreach and early intervention practices. SCOPE aims to promote and increase the recruitment, participation and success rates of underrepresented students in higher education and more specifically in the Education field.
SCOPE is designed as a rigorous summer residential program providing academic enrichment and college preparation opportunities. The program is organized to address areas that include academic and study-skills, admission criteria/application processes, financial aid, leadership, community service, cultural-affirmation, and career and personal development through a nurturing environment.
The summer experience is organized around five main goals:
- Increase academic skills
- Enhance social skills for a successful college experience
- Validate participants’ sense of themselves as college-bound learners
- Familiarized participants with higher education institutions and admissions/financial aid processes
- Develop participants’ knowledge of education careers
- Be a member of underrepresented groups in Education professions
- Be rising high school juniors
- Be enrolled in a college-prep curriculum
- Have a high school grade-point-average of 3.0 or better
- Be interested in Education careers
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (other status might be considered).
- Preference is given to first generation and economically disadvantaged candidates.
For Counselors, Teachers, and School Administrators
Are you a high school counselor or F.E.A .Adviser?
Would you like information and application regarding SCOPE sent to your school or organization? Email us for more information.