Admission to the Program
For information on applying to one of our degree programs, please see the web page for the specific degree you are interested in. Application information for the M.S. in Higher Education can be found on the M.S. degree in Higher Education page.
No single criterion stands as an adequate forecaster of success in graduate work. Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- undergraduate junior-senior grade-point average;
- grade-point average in any graduate work;
- test scores or relevant experience (see requirement under the "How to Apply" page for each degree);
- professional and academic references;
- a written statement of purpose;
- FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS ONLY: If your first language is not English or you have not received baccalaureate or master's degrees from an institution in which the language of instruction is English, you must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) examination. A TOEFL score of 550 on the paper-based test or a score of 213 on the computer-based test, or a total score of 80 with a 20 on the speaking section for the internet-based test is required for admission.
Most applicants have a previous degree in a professional field, in the social or natural sciences, or in the humanities. The successful applicant's academic and professional references will attest to his/her academic potential. Prospective applicants should also be aware that a separate admission application must be made to the Graduate School.