Pennsylvania teachers, administrators, and pupil personnel service providers are required to hold a Pennsylvania certificate in order to be employed in the Commonwealth's public schools. The certificates are issued by the Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality, Division of Certification Services, and certify that an individual has met the required degree, coursework, assessment, and experience requirements.
To qualify for a certificate in Pennsylvania, a student must:
- Complete an approved education preparation program at the bachelor's or graduate level;
- Receive the recommendation of your preparing college/university;
- Meet all testing requirements established by the State Board of Education; and
- Meet all other requirements established by the School Code.
Eligibility for a teacher certificate is based on:
- Successful completion of a Teacher (Educator) Preparation Program with the conferral of a baccalaureate degree. (Vocational Certificate candidates: See Adviser).
- A minimum 3.00 cumulative grade point average.
- A grade of at least “C” or better in all specified courses, including practica.
- Approval by (a) the pertinent program representative and (b) the University Certification Officer.
- Successful completion of any clearances, tests, and any other requirements as specified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE).
- Please note there are citizenship requirements for certification
Representatives in the Advising and Certification Center verify a candidate’s successful completion of all necessary exit criteria for a Teacher (Educator) Preparation Program in conjunction with the program representative’s approval.
must be done through TIMS. Directions are available on the TIMS website or from the certification office. In addition, students must send the to the College of Education.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education's website on certification requirements provides more details about the process.
Additional Information on Certification
Students who want to teach in a state other than Pennsylvania can do so by following the interstate certification reciprocity process.
The post-baccalaureate teacher certification program allows candidates who already have a baccalaureate degree to pursue teacher certification.
Contact your adviser to get more details about your certification process.